Friday, June 17, 2011

The memorization challenge

One of the small things I love about Ganderbrook is the director's weekly scripture memorization challenge. I believe that the memorization and recitation of scripture is just as important as reading it, but somehow we've forgotten about it. When most of our houses have more Bibles than we can count and we have instant access to the Word on our computers and phones, why bother memorizing? After all, it's a lot of tedious work!

But memorization is precisely what we need. How else can the author of Psalm 119 rejoice, "I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you" (verse 11)?

So here's the challenge: Pick a passage of scripture and memorize it before you come to Ganderbrook. It can be short. It can be long. It can be a passage you are familiar with, or it can be something you haven't read in months or years. It can be in the Old Testament. It can be in the New Testament. It can be a letter, or a parable, or a story, or a teaching. Whatever - the important part is that you commit to memorizing the Word of God. I dare you.

I'm working on Matthew chapter 7. My goal is to be able to quote the entire sermon on the mount by the end of June. Hold me to it, and I'll hold you to yours.

~Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment